In 1853 the lighthouse at Jupiter Inlet was authorized by Congress. George Gordon Meade (young Army Lieutenant) was assigned to this lighthouse project. The Jupiter lighthouse was one of the six lighthouse projects appointed to Meade. About a decade later, George defeated Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Gettysburg as the new General of Union Army. Meade claimed the site and made the first original design for the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse. His replacement Lieutenant William Raynolds improved the final design. He added more height and doubled the lighthouse wall. Edward Yorke inspected the construction of the tower and it was completed in May 1860. After the lighthouse was accepted, engineers identified that a storm was going to hit the inlet.The ocean water became motionless, passing around malaria.The Third Seminole Indian War broke out at this time and delayed the construction of the lighthouse. The materials for this project had to be brought down from the Indian River in, shallow-draft barges. The majority of the lighthouse was completed in less than six months.
The Jupiter lighthouse is 108 feet in height. It is composed of brick, double masonry walls, outer conical, base of a lantern, iron stairs, etc. It has 105 iron stairs spiraling around a central column with three landings. The lantern in the middle of the lighthouse is a 1000 watt, 120 volt light. The range of this light can be seen from 24 miles away. This is so it is visible for ships. The Jupiter lighthouse flashes 1.2 seconds on and off. It eclipses 21 seconds, and then repeats the cycle. In order for the lighthouse to maintain a decent look it must have keepers.The lighthouse has had many keepers. The first keeper was Captain Thomas Twiner 1860.
During the Construction of the lighthouse there were many complications. In 2000, it needed to be restored. In order for this to happen the lighthouse needed $858,000. Luckily, the Loxahatchee River Historical Society (LRHS) provided it. In 2004 after the restoration two hurricanes occured. Hurricane Frances and Jeanne sandblasted the tower and pitted the storm panes located in the lantern room. The lighthouse recovered from this storm but was soon hit by a new one in 2012. On May 8, lightning hit the lighthouse and broke the filaments on the primary and secondary lamp bulbs. The storm also damaged the main circuit breaker. The lighthouse was later repaired and back inservice by May 9th.